ELEGANZA & ARTISAN INTERLOCKING LP SHELVES
Each Shelf Module Includes
(8) Screws for assembly
(2) Rectangular Sidepieces
(1) Top Right Angle Plank
(1) Top Flat Plank
(1) Bottom Right Angle Plank
(1) Bottom Flat Plank
(1) Baltic Birch Base Inlay
(1) Baltic Birch Top Inlay [optional]
(4) Wood Plugs
The individual handmade parts of this modular shelf feature naturally variegated wood grain. All parts are pre-drilled, only assembly is required. Before starting, it is important to identify the two top and two bottom planks. For top planks, the inlay cut-outs and pre-drilled holes for assembly are on the same side. For the bottom, the inlay cut-outs and pre-drilled assembly holes are on opposite sides of each plank. Sidepieces are interchangeable for the left or right, orient them however you think looks best.
1) On an uncarpeted floor, tabletop, or other flat level surfaces, lay down the Bottom Right Angle Plank on a flat surface so the pre-drilled holes are on the side that is vertical and the shorter portion is horizontal with the inlay cut-out facing up.
2) Use a #2 Philips screwdriver (or matching drill/driver bit) to start a screw into both assembly holes, just deep enough so the screws don’t need to be held in place by hand.
3) Take one Sidepiece and fit it vertically against the right angle plank so that the pre-drilled holes match up. (The protruding, shorter planks on the Sidepiece should be horizontal and face the inside of the Right Angle Plank.) Firmly press and hold this corner joint together and tighten the screw.
4) Place the second Sidepiece on the other end the Right Angle Plank and repeat Step 3.
5) Rotate the rack 180 so that the side that was just assembled is still facing you. Fit the top right angle plank to the bottom of the Sidepieces so the inlay cut-out faces down and the pre-drilled holes are once again lined up.
6) Start screws in both assembly holes, then firmly press and hold each joint together as you tighten each screw.
7) Now rotate the rack so that both right-angled planks are at the back and the assembly holes of the Bottom Right Angle Plank face up. Fit the long edge of the birch inlay into the cut-out in this plank so the finished side faces down.
8) Lay the Bottom Flat Plank across the top of the vertical Sidepieces so the cut-out fits over the birch inlay. Pre-drilled holes should be matched up.
9) Once this Bottom Flat Plank is screwed into place, the base inlay will also be locked in place. Before doing this, it is helpful to rotate the birch inlay 180 horizontally (so the finished side still faces down) to see which orientation fits best — then repeat step 6.
10) Turn the shelf right side up and lay the remaining Top Flat Plank on top of the two rectangular Sidepieces making sure to match the pre-drilled holes, then repeat step 6.
11) Wood Plugs can be inserted into the four pre-drilled holes on the top of the shelf so that an additional shelf can be put on top and lock into place.
12) For uppermost shelves, the optional top birch inlay can be installed now. Unlike the base inlay, the top is not captive. Depending upon the ‘trueness’ of the finished assembly, minor finesse may be needed for the top to set into place easily. Try both orientations (see step 9) to find which edges conform best. To avoid marring the finish, sometimes it is helpful to slightly loosen the attaching screws of the top flat plank, just enough so the plank has a little lateral play for the inlay to drop into place without force. Then retighten the screws.
Other Helpful Tips
The catalyzed lacquer finish used for our records shelves is maintenance free. Murphy’s Oil Soap works well if you need to clean the finish.
If the fit of the wood plugs is too tight, use a pair of pliers to slightly compress the ends so they slide into place easily. Because of the extreme mass of each shelf, installing two plugs is sufficient to prevent stacked units from sliding. We provide four for maximum stability.
If there is no weight on the top inlay, it can bow upwards slightly over time. To keep the top inlay edges flush with the wood, it can be glued down if desired. We find Loctite Control Gel does the job well with minimal fuss or mess.
To enhance the aesthetics and versatility of our shelves, we also offer a carefully thought-out selection of add-on accessories that can transform stacks of LPs and CDs into attractive and functional furniture. Please visit our website for complete options and pricing.
- Each shelf holds up to 150 LPs
- Strong, interlocking construction allows stacking up to six shelves high
- Internal dimensions: 24" wide x 13" deep x 13" tall
- External dimensions: 27" wide x 13-3/4" deep x 14-1/2" tall
- Stored LPs are fully supported on their underside and all spines are clearly visible
- All types of LP shelves can stack interchangeably with each other