SAMSON Ultra Turntable Stand Finished With Clear Lacquer
THIS CONFIGURATION INCLUDES: 1 24"x 18" x 4" finished platform with Black Isoblock suspension, 1 four-inch finished shelf,
2 two-inch finished shelves, a finished LP support bracket, 4 black uprights,
4 brass top caps (2" D), 20 brass shelf nuts (2" D), and 4 threaded brass footers
• For best performance on uncarpeted floors, choose our standard footer option.
• To avoid leaving dings on expensive hardwood floors, use our radiused footer options.
• On carpet, it is essential for the points of the SAMSON's footers to penetrate the rug and contact the solid floor underneath.
• For high pile carpet with padding (more than 1/2" deep), you need thick carpet footers to penetrate to the floor.
• For thin commercial wall-to-wall carpet (less than 1/2"), thin carpet footers will sound slightly better than the thick carpet version.
• To hear the full potential of the SAMSON, we strongly encourage mounting each component to its shelf with our brass footers. Using Micropoint Heavyfeet or Triplepoints to couple your components to the maple will nearly double the sonic improvement you get with the SAMSON.
• Audiophiles seeking the ultimate in performance may want to consider adding a 2" or 4" thick Finished Maple Platform on Isoblocks under key components. Add-on platforms with Isoblocks help isolate each component from vibrations generated by gear on the other shelves. The sonic improvement is especially remarkable under turntables and tubed equipment.
• Those seeking the absolute ultimate in sound quality will want to order the SAMSON with all 4" shelves plus a 4" maple platform on every shelf. This is simply the best-sounding equipment rack in the world, bar none. We have a sizable number of customers who have ordered this no-hold-barred configuration--and who report that installing the second layer of maple platforms onto the 4" shelves turned an already superb sounding rack into a breathtaking one.
• Every SAMSON shelf is hand-planed from rough-cut 2-1/2" and 4-1/2" maple to remove saw marks and surface imperfections. We aim for a true 2" or 4" thickness--as opposed to the commercial lumber practice of undersizing. But, because of variations in the rough-cut timber, the exact thickness may vary by up to 3/16".
Design and Performance:
The physics that lead to a superb sounding turntable stand are directly derived from empirical tests and easy to understand:
First, as everyone knows, turntables are exceedingly sensitive to vibration. But the vibration that hurts your
turntable’s sound is not speaker vibration transmitted through the air or the floor—contrary to everyone’s conventional
wisdom. Our meticulously conducted listening tests prove that the vibration that really degrades sound is almost
entirely generated inside your turntable—by the motor, the bearings, the belt or rim drive and by the stylus
bouncing around in the record groove.
Second, the more of these internally generated vibrations you can drain out of your turntable,
the more beautiful your LPs will sound. The most efficient, cleanest-sounding way to do that is to couple your table rigidly
to a massive sink for these vibrations that doesn’t reflect back distorted,sound-muddying echoes. Isolating
the turntable via rubber, magnetic or air suspensions traps all the vibrations inside the TT, exactly the wrong thing to
Third, listening tests show the best-sounding material for the all-important sink function is maple, by a surprisingly
large margin (for details, see here). And the best
way to couple your table to that maple is to mount it on really heavy, non-resonant brass footers using the most rigid
possible point contact (for details, see here).
Putting all these listening test results together to create a truly perfectionist,reference-level turntable vibration control mounting led to the Samson Ultra
Turntable Stand design features:
• A vibration sink for the turntable based on two thick, super rigid layers of maple—a 4" platform coupled via Isoblocks to
a 4" top shelf to achieve the greatest mass and the most efficient vibration dissipation possible.
• Massive 1-1/4” solid steel uprights with two hefty, polished brass nuts locking each maple shelf corner super-rigidly to its
corresponding upright. Each upright, in turn, locked into one of our massive 3” Megafeet to achieve the best possible coupling with the
• Two inch shelf under the turntable shelf to hold phono stage or preamp and turntable power supply.
• Bottom two inch shelf for up to 150 LPs.
• Two inch thick maple rails (left, right and rear) to support the bottom shelf LPs—and to add even more rigidity to the support
structure for the four inch turntable top shelf.
• Solid 2"and 4" thick air-dried maple shelves finished in clear lacquer.
• 2" shelves will support 300+ pounds; 4" will support over 900 pounds.
• Shelf dimensions are 26" wide x 19" deep; 21-1/2" width between uprights.
• Fully assembled height is 37" from the floor to the upper surface of the top shelf.
• 1-1/4" diameter, solid steel vertical supports, fully threaded for infinite adjustability; available with matte black or nickel-zinc plating.
• When shelves are equally spaced, the height between shelves is about 13".